[birding] OFO listing info page (including motorless birding challenge)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Feb 3 07:27:43 PST 2009

Hello folks,

Here's a new page to check out on the Oregon Field Ornithologists web
site:

http://www.oregonbirds.org/birdingrecords.html

The aim for this page is to provide a home for records of various bird-
listing efforts in Oregon, including big-year and big-day efforts by
various means of transportation.

For now there are two main items of interest:

1) Information on how to submit your regular listing totals for
publication in the annual listing issue of /Oregon Birds/, and

2) A "motorless birding challenge," with examples of past "motorless"
year lists plus a few that are in progress in 2009.

The idea of motorless birding is explained on this web page. Let's just
say it's flexible enough to accommodate relatively petroleum-dependent
people like myself, who approach this as an expanded yard list, as well
as people who've made more serious commitments to alternative
transportation in their daily lives.

Please let me know if you'd like to join in the "motorless birding
challenge" by posting your 2009 finds. Public-transit-assisted lists are
also very welcome, for you lucky birders who are blessed with a
functioning public transit system in your community.

So far we have four birders participating. One guy made it to 100
motorless birds in the month of January! I won't say who, but one hint
is that he has a Pyrrhuloxia on his motorless list.