[birding] Independence sewage ponds

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Fri Sep 26 18:17:43 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

Shawn Irvine took Beth Waite and me for a tour of a trail that's in the
planning stages in Independence. Hopefully this trail (planned to be
ADA-accessible) will be built next summer, but it's not a sure thing
yet. Shawn's plan, though, is for the trail to include an overlook of
part of the Independence sewage lagoons which used to be a great birding
spot, but have been closed to birders in recent years.

Today the ponds held impressive numbers of NORTHERN SHOVELERS -- I'd
guess at least a couple of thousand. There were also a few dozen
Mallards, and one female GREEN-WINGED TEAL that looked lonely for others
of its kind. We had a fleeting glimpse of a MERLIN that zoomed past us
and over the embankment of the next pond, definitely on the hunt. A few
SPOTTED SANDPIPERS were working

Shawn also showed us some of the habitats along the planned trail, away
from the lagoons. There should be a nice diversity of habitats,
including some mature oaks, plus ash/maple/cottonwoods bottomlands, some
willow thickets along Ash Creek, and a possible meadow area (will need
some work but has potential). We heard a few, then saw one GOLDEN-
CROWNED SPARROW in the latter areas.

Shawn's proposed trail augurs to be a great birding resource for
MidValley birders. I'll try to keep you posted as plans proceed.