[birding] Pine Siskins, late tanager near Camp Adair

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Sep 24 15:25:10 PDT 2008

Hello folks,

A flock of 40 PINE SISKINS showed up today and were swarming a tall
cone-bearing conifer to the south of our yard across from E.E. Wilson
Wildlife Area.

Earlier today I saw a WESTERN TANAGER (female or basic-plumage male)
perched high atop a dead Douglas-fir on Coffin Butte. A couple of BLACK-
THROATED GRAY WARBLERS were still in the same place along the trail
where I've seen one or two on most visits since late summer (so I think
they're lingering birds rather than migrants).

I didn't hear any migrant Swainson's Thrushes on a couple of pre-dawn
listens this morning. It was pretty clear; I think cloud cover helps to
hear them flying over.