[birding] Fern Ridge birding this morning

David Irons llsdirons at msn.com
Tue Sep 23 16:44:56 PDT 2008

Greetings All,

This morning I birded the Royal Ave. area with Mat Gilfedder (visiting from Brisbane, Australia) and his two-year-old son Alex.  We had a great morning that produced five lifers for Mat.  We had several small flocks of Greater White-fronted Geese pass overhead and a few came in to the ponds.  We also had a couple small groups of Cackling Geese.  These are surely new arrivals.  Shorebird numbers are still good. We had one basic plumaged Dunlin (first report of the season to my knowledge) and a basic plumaged Wilson's Phalarope (getting very late for this species). There seem to have been a pretty good influx of juvenile Long-billed Dowitchers since I was out on Saturday (saw mostly adults that day). We did not see the Ruff, Stilt Sandpiper or the Snowy Egret.  We had great success throughout the morning getting very close photos of several species including: Virgina Rail (below the observation platform), Semipalmated Plover, Least Sandpiper and Long-billed Dowitcher.

Shorebird species seen:

Black-bellied Plover -- 15+
Semipalmated Plover -- 6
Greater Yellowlegs -- 35