[birding] Late Chat at E.E. Wilson, Swainson's Thrush migrants etc.

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Sep 21 11:47:33 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

This morning I walked around the north end of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area
to help a bit with the Benton Co. migration count.

The most surprising bird of the day was a hatch-year YELLOW-BREASTED
CHAT hopping around in some slash where the BPA powerline crosses the
nature trail on the way to the angling pond. Three GREEN HERONS were
still hanging around the ponds.

Before starting out, I went out in our back yard (just across the
highway from the wildlife area) and listened for migrant SWAINSON'S
THRUSHES overhead. I heard 18 calls in the space of two minutes. This
was at 6:25 AM. I've been out a few other times this week, usually
earlier in the morning, but this was the first time I've heard any
overhead migrants. Swainson's Thrushes also seemed to be scattered all
around the wildlife area after dawn; my total for three hours of birding
was 53.

Wintering sparrows included four LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, 7 SOOTY FOX
SPARROWS, and one apiece of GOLDEN-CROWNED and WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.

Back at our house, we just had a visit from a young TURKEY VULTURE that
landed in the back yard. The kids & I watched it check out a faded
yellow watering can that had some red house paint spattered on it, as
our chickens watched from a cautious distance. At one point the vulture
plucked a cluster of Queen Anne's lace seeds with its beak. I don't
think it ate them; my impression was that it picked the seeds to get
them out of the way so it could poke its head underneath the watering
can.