[birding] Still have a Rufus!

Chris Miller mcmillerz at peak.org
Sat Sep 13 19:17:16 PDT 2008

This afternoon I was surprised to see a Rufus hummer at the feeder - I was
sure they had all headed south.

I don't know if this was one of  "my" hummers, or a straggler passing
through, but I'm glad I didn't take the feeders down!

This is the latest I've seen them in my yard - they are usually gone by the
last week of Aug. into the first week of Sept.

Also in the last few weeks we have been entertained by a young (female)
Pileated Woodpecker - actually coming into the yard and investigating the
feeders and birdbaths!

She made an attempt to drink from one of the birdbaths (we were very close
by), but ended up just doing a "head dunk".

This bird has been very vocal and active, and not as elusive as we're used
to. Great fun!

Otherwise the usual yard birds:

RB Nuthatches

BC Chickadees

S. Towhees

Stellar Jays

Juncos

A couple of B. Creepers

A visit from a Sharpie

Crows

Downie Woodpeckers

Mourning Doves

And new this year - Goldfinches!

Chris Miller

mcmillerz at peak.org

"Hope is the thing with feathers perched in the soul"

 - Emily Dickinson