[birding] field trip

rich armstrong richarmstrong at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 13:50:28 PDT 2008

1. 7 of us enjoyed beautiful weather this morning on the 1/2 day corvallis
audubon field trip.
2. after doug's call we decided to start at south wilameete park. about 2
hours of searching the area did not locate any of the 3 of doug's warblers.
3. we scoured at least 4 or 5 chickadee flocks that included bushtit flocks,
brown creeper, bewick's wren, wilson's warbler, peewees, pacific-slope
flycatcher, empidonax sp, and many many waxwings. there were 2 brief
sightings of swifts that seemed to have white showing, but neither got good
looks.
4. the river is quite low but saw only cormorants and a couple wood ducks.
5. we then went down to bruce road hoping for a horned lark flock (we found
zero) or a migrant (we found zero).
6. many turkey vultures, a harrier, and a red-tail soared. hundreds of barn
swallows sitting on the ground was interesting. there were 7 great egrets
and zero shorebirds back on the drying out cheadle marsh.
Rich Armstrong
541-753-1978