[birding] Small drab goose off Pettibone Drive east of Lewisburg, Benton Co.

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Nov 3 09:55:50 PST 2008

Hello folks,

On the way home from dropping off a kid at school, I noticed a small,
drab goose with a flock of about a dozen Dusky Canada Geese, off of
Pettibone Drive east of Lewisburg (north of Corvallis).

The smaller goose was lying down and preening with its head away from me
most of the time. It was also a long way off the road for my binoculars
(close to 1/4 mile; I didn't have my scope along). However it was drab
gray overall with no distinct pattern on the neck/face. A patch of white
was showing under the tail.

My impressions of neck proportions and relatively pale shade of gray
would favor an Anser-type goose, so my best guess would be a young
Greater White-fronted Goose. However, given that the Emperor Goose is
still AWOL it might deserve a better look. This flock was near the
middle of the east-west stretch of Pettibone, in one of the low-lying
grass fields on the south side of the road.