[birding] Finley: Nighthawk, Elk calves

Don Boucher bouchdon at peak.org
Wed Jun 25 22:57:48 PDT 2008

6-25-08

Finley NWR
Lisa and I walked along muddy creek north from Bruce Road late in the afternoon. We heard some elk cows calling in the ash forest. Later, near sunset, many of the herd were in the large field east of Pigeon Butte. We spotted at least a dozen calves and they were frolicking and being cute. On our way back to Bruce Rd at sunset there were Barn Owls in the Cheadle Barn. Nestling owls were crying inside the barn and the adults came out to scold us. Nearer Bruce Road a Common Nighthawk came out and hunted over the fields. A distant but possible short-earned owl was spotted briefly but it soon landed in the field and it was too far away to confirm its identity.

Don Boucher
Corvallis, OR