[birding] Dusk at Finley

carolyn paynter pandioncp at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 14 17:19:57 PDT 2008

Yesterday evening I was out at Finley between 8:00 and 9:00PM.  A beautiful evening with Mother Nature enjoying the weather.  Some assorted sights included an immature Rufous-Sided Towhee chasing its mother, doing a begging display, and a Bewick's Wren taking a dust bath in the gravel road as it goes through the flooded Ash forest at the Refuge's north entrance.  I spent about ten minutes watching while it dusted every nook and cranny.  This is the third time I have seen Bewick's Wrens taking dust baths along this road.

The best sight was a close view of a Swainson's Thrush that had come close to investigate my 'whit' call.  I could see its beak and throat move as it 'whited' back at me.  A beautiful bird.

Bullfrogs were calling and swarms of gnat were in the air.  I practiced my gnat-calling with various humming noises.  Some entomologist friends showed me that if you hit the right frequency, they will come and hover over your head.

You never know when you might need your own swarm of gnats.

Carolyn Paynter