[birding] Livermore Rd., Polk County

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Thu Jun 12 14:30:35 PDT 2008

Hi folks,

This morning Wil (age 15) and I walked Livermore Rd. from the south end
(Smithfield Rd.) to the north end (Perrydale Rd.), and then back again.
This was a lark transect as part of ODFW's grassland bird survey,
looking for Western Meadowlarks and Streaked Horned Larks. Wil was our
lark detector (better ears) and I was the mapper. Livermore Rd. is on
the north side of Baskett Slough NWR in Polk County, north of Dallas.

We came up with six WESTERN MEADOWLARKS (all in the first 3/4 mile which
has most of the wet meadow) and about 45 HORNED LARKS (in scattered
clusters, pretty much all along the road except the first half mile).
This area is one of the main strongholds for Streaked Horned Larks, so
it was encouraging to see good numbers.

We didn't keep count of other species, but some notables included one
BALD EAGLE (perched about 1/2 mile north of Smithfield Rd.), a pair of
GADWALL on one of the wetland restorations, and numerous YELLOW-HEADED
BLACKBIRDS (at least half a dozen males, probably more). We saw well
over a hundred SAVANNAH SPARROWS but no other grassland sparrows.