[birding] Local RBA: Linn Co. EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE

David Irons llsdirons at msn.com
Mon Jun 2 11:35:40 PDT 2008

This morning, while assisting Anne Mary Myers with some grassland bird surveys in s. Linn Co., I saw a single EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE along Mt. Tom Rd.  To reach the area where the bird was seen, go east on Coleman Rd. from N. Coburg Rd. (runs north/south paralleling the I-5 on the west side), just after crossing the overpass over I-5 turn left (north) immediately on Mt. Tom Rd.  Mt. Tom Rd. runs north for about one-half mile and makes a 90 degree turn to the east.  The bird flew out of the yard of the first house on the right after you complete the turn.  We were at a point count station about 0.1 mile east of the house and had the bird fly over head and continue to the east.  There are some evergreens in the yard the bird flew out of and I suspect it is roosting there.

I realize that Eurasian Collared Doves are losing their appeal and novelty in most areas, but to my knowledge there have not been many reported from Linn Co., so I figured there might be a couple county listers who would want to know about this bird.  After completing our surveys, we visited Belts Rd.  We were unable to relocate the Brewer's Sparrow there or the Ash-throated Flycatcher along nearby Tub Run Rd., but we had several GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS in both the field along Belts and the field on the east side of Gap Rd. at the very east end of Belts Rd.  LAZULI BUNTINGS and W. MEADOWLARKS were thick along Belts Rd, and we saw and heard one VESPER SPARROW.

Dave Irons
Eugene, OR