[birding] no tree sparrow

rich armstrong richarmstrong at comcast.net
Wed Jan 2 16:42:46 PST 2008

1. nanette & paula & marcia & i made the mistake of driving out to e e wilson, walking the 1+ miles out to where the tree sparrow was yesterday, and looking around for it for 1+ hours. not only did we not see any tree sparrow we all got soaked even with rain suits on.
2. there was a flock in the same sunflower patch, but my perception was that it was a smaller flock of juncos and golden-crowns. they did not cooperate at all today as they flushed earlier, went into bushes instead of sitting on top, and did not come back to the sunflowers but went elsewhere.
3. we split up and covered a lot of the area including finding some flocks of juncos and golden-crowns, but no tree sparrow.
4. there are still a lot of LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and PURPLE FINSHES as well as hundreds of AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES. again we had 1 WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.
5. thankfully jamie called and gave us a great excuse to leave - we drove home, changed clothes and blasted down to see the wonderful and cooperative MOUNTAIN PLOVER south of brownsville.
6. on the way home we saw the BURROWING OWL on davis and a GREAT-HORNED OWL on the street where we didn't see the mockingbird.
Rich Armstrong
541-753-1978