[birding] Lots of Pine Siskins

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Jan 2 15:30:33 PST 2008

Hi folks,

Since Rich & Paula & Cheryl took care of finding an American Tree
Sparrow for the Airlie CBC count week (first one for the count, I
think), I figured I should go out and try to find some other count-week
birds.

So I walked over to & up Coffin Butte to look for those Mountain Quail
that went AWOL, checking finch flocks around the sunflower plantings
along the way for redpolls, and checking the westermost marshes for
Swamp Sparrows.

I went 0 for 3 on those "target birds," but I sure did see a lot of
finches and doves despite the steady drizzle. My estimated totals
included:

  PINE SISKINS   400+, about 300 of which were in one big flock in the
                 sunflower plantings by the westernmost turnout on the
                 south side of Camp Adair Rd (west of the skeet range).
                 I had good enough looks at most of them to rule out
                 redpolls. I didn't pick up any anomalous calls or
                 flight styles among the others, so I think they were
                 really all siskins -- some very bright ones.
  HOUSE FINCH    200+
  AMERICAN GOLDFINCH 150+
  MOURNING DOVE  120+ (no unusual doves seen)

The usual good diversity of sparrows was present including at least 3
SLATE-COLORED JUNCOS and a couple of WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, plus a
dozen or so LINCOLN'S SPARROWS.