[birding] Ankeny and Finley

Molly Monroe monroemolly at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:06:55 PST 2008

Yesterday at Ankeny, I saw 3 Snow Geese and 1 Ross' Goose with a large flock of cackling geese. We were doing a roost count and I got to watch them fly out to the west from Mohoff Marsh. There were also 4 Canvasbacks in Eagle Marsh with a nice flock of Ruddy Ducks.
Jock reported seeing a Brant with cackling geese at Finley in the field south of the office. There's been a Red-Breasted Sapsucker hanging out in the tree next to the office. The Western Meadowlarks are singing away in the prairie and on signs near the overlook. There are still three White-Tailed Kites out on the prairie and a Rough-Legged Hawk around there as well. Also look for the growing numbers of Great Blue Herons around Turtle Flats (near the bathrooms) as they are nesting nearby. I got great photos of one catching a fish right next to the road the other day.
Happy birding,
Molly~
 _( '</ ) )//" Those who appreciate the power and beauty of nature will find reserves of strength for as long as life lasts- Rachel Carson