[birding] Toketie Marsh 2/27

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Feb 27 17:36:18 PST 2008

Hi Noah & All,

I got a report from our 3rd-grader that a "birder-person" was looking at
all the "white birds" on the pond there when their school bus turned
around, must've been you.

I also made a quick stop by there this afternoon and came up with
roughly the same proportions of those same four gull species, though I
wasn't brave enough to make a count as they were milling around. It did
look like overall numbers have increased since yesterday.

There was a nice example of a first-winter Glaucous-winged Gull that was
pretty distinctive -- the largest, uniformly pale gull with a relatively
heavy, all black bill, might be easy for others to spot. I keep looking
at the palest big gulls in these flocks hoping for another Glaucous Gull
to show up, as we had one there 5 or so years ago.