[birding] Trumpeter flock absent today, Turkey Vulture, R-t Hawks building nest

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sat Feb 16 12:40:00 PST 2008

Hi folks,

When I went over just now to inquire about viewing possibilities for the
Trumpeter Swan flock that I reported yesterday, the flock was gone from
the field -- possibly because cars from a long train were being
decoupled onto the siding by the Processing & Recovery Center, which is
next to the same field, so there was a lot of commotion.

I didn't find the residents of that place at home but got their name off
the mailbox so will give them a call later on.

While detouring around the train-decoupling operation by way of Suver
Rd., just east of Suver (Polk Co.) I spotted two ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS
soaring high on a thermal, joined by a TURKEY VULTURE. One of the Rough-
legged Hawks appeared to be a dark-morph immature based on extensive
brown on the underwing coverts.

My son Wil mentioned today that yesterday (15 Feb) he saw a RED-TAILED
HAWK carrying a branch over Hwy 99W about a half mile south of Adair
Village, heading for trees on one of the ridges where it may have a nest
going.