[birding] NE Linn Co. ponds

Linda Fink linda at fink.com
Tue Feb 12 07:16:41 PST 2008

Yesterday, Feb. 11, I ran the new-this-year North Santiam raptor route
with my Dad, who lives between Mill City and Gates. In case any of you
bird up that way, I wonder if you know about the wetlands at John Neal
Park in Lyons or the seasonal wetland just east of Mill City. The John
Neal Park ponds have had quite a few Gadwall on our visits last month
and this (along with a Pied-billed Grebe and mallards and domestics).
The wetlands (lake bed that never became a lake) between Kingwood Ave.
and the North Santiam river, have had ring-necked ducks and green-winged
teal this winter (as well as scads of Mallards and a few Bufflehead). I
don't know how often anyone birds those areas but thought I'd mention them.

Linda Fink