[birding] Horned Larks singing, plus a few Trumpeter Swans

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Tue Feb 12 06:38:17 PST 2008

Hi folks,

Just starting to emerge from the flu bug, so I got out for just a bit
yesterday (Monday, Feb 11).

At Luckiamute State Natural Area (Vanderpool Tract), a PILEATED
WOODPECKER was calling from a snag to the NE of the front quarry pond. A
pair has been active in this area all winter so maybe they will nest.

>From one of the wooded wetlands, I heard a few calls of what I guess
were frogs, but neither Pacific chorus-frogs nor bullfrogs. The cadence
was like a Downy Woodpecker's drumming or screech-owl tooting, but very
evenly paced, and with a croaking-in-the-back-of-the-throat quality,
like certain kids enjoy doing to bug their parents. Might have been Red-
legged Frogs (which are supposed to occur there) but I need to look up
their calls.

About 30 TUNDRA SWANS were in the field on the NW side of Suver Junction
(Hwy 99W x Suver/Airlie Rd.), but no Trumpeter Swans. This field has
been a late-winter staging area for swans in recent winters, so it bears
watching. I did see a small group of seven TRUMPETER SWANS (four adults
and three immature) near the west end of Robison Rd., just before it
turns into De Armond Rd. by the Rifle Range. The swans were feeding and
resting in a low spot about 1/3 mile north of the road, beyond the
perennial grass field in the foreground which has all the raptors.

Several HORNED LARKS were singing along the east side of De Armond Rd.,
in the bare plowed & disked field about 1/4 mile south of Airlie Rd.
These might be our endemic Streaked Horned Larks starting to think about
nesting, since usually some can be found in that area during spring and
summer.