[birding] Turkey Vultures

Don Boucher bouchdon at peak.org
Mon Feb 11 19:01:54 PST 2008

2-11-08 Finley NWR
Lisa and I had the day off and what luck with the nice weather. We saw 3 Turkey Vultures soaring. A Red-shouldered Hawk near Cabell Marsh. At the Prairie Overlook there was a pair of White-tailed Kites. The field SSE of the Prairie Overlook was disked and a good place to keep an eye on as there were many raptors and ravens visiting the field. The elk herd was visible in the vicinity too.

We thought we heard Tree Swallows but can't confirm, perhaps wishful thinking?

There were some late winter, springish occurrences other than birds. During our lunch, there was a honey bee poking around our tea cups and exploring cavities around the car. A paper wasp was active at the Prairie Overlook platform. Perhaps it was a queen? There were frog choruses late in the afternoon. There were three Common Garter Snakes which seemingly just emerged from their winter den as they were covered in mud.

Don Boucher
Corvallis, OR