[birding] Witham Hill Birds + Bluebirds

Cynthia Craven cynthiacraven at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 12:54:42 PST 2008

Hi List,

Today there was a YELLOW RUMPED WARBLER (mature male) on the suet feeder,
and what I think was a LINCOLN'S SPARROW on the tray feeder, as well as all
the regular visitors:

WHITE BREASTED NUTHATCHES (2)

RED BREASTED NUTHATCHES (2)

JUNCOS (many)

BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES (many)

CHESTNUT BACKED CHICKADEES (2)

ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRDS (at least one male, one female)

STELLAR'S JAYS (PACIFIC) (4)

SCRUB JAY (1)

LESSER GOLDFINCH (WESTERN) male (2)

SPOTTED TOWHEE (1)

Yesterday, I went on a bike ride on Harrison near the OSU Dairy.  Down the
road from the little Diary House on NW Harrison Drive, I ran into a tiny
flock of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS, which I found delightful.  Four males and a
female were perched on the powerlines and fence, mostly on the north side of
the road near a small house.  They also flew back and forth from the
powerlines and ditch to the orchard trees surrounding the house.  They
appeared to be feeding on something in the grass in the ditch.  This is
located about 310 meters (1,019 ft) west of the road that leads to the
little dairy house immediately adjacent to (south of) NW Harrison.   There
is a little road that leads to the north from Harrison, located adjacent to
the house.  Not sure what its called - Northwest Oak Creek Drive, maybe?
You can see it in Google Earth.  I was about 40 m (129 ft) west of the north
trending driveway, when I stopped to watch the bluebirds.

This may be "ho hum" news to some of you, but I personally love bluebirds,
and they do not seem to come up on Witham Hill to feed at or anywhere near,
my feeders!

Happy birding,

Cynthia Craven