[birding] 1. Wrentit 2. Feeder disease question

Cynthia Craven cynthiacraven at verizon.net
Tue Feb 5 09:57:22 PST 2008

Hi Joel and Jamie,

Thank you so much for your very thorough response Joel!  And Jamie, thank
you for the alternative ID of the bird as a bushtit, rather than wrentit.

I cannot be positive about the ID of the bird - our four cats, much more
advanced birders that we rely on to ID the more difficult birds - stubbornly
withheld information on the true identity of the bird in retaliation against
us for refusing to open the sliding glass door to the patio....*long sigh.*

That said, the bird was very large (compared to bushtit anyway), and had a
beautiful medium brown rounded tail that was rather long.  With my limited
experience, at first glance I actually thought it looked like a "weird fox
sparrow" or "overgrown wren."  But then noticed the bill was shaped
differently and that it had a much lighter breast and less "striping" on the
breast than the fox sparrows I have seen on our feeder.  I started looking
it up online and in bird books to figure it out.

The feeder in question is actually a tray feeder.  I must say, I did not
really see the bird feeding from it, although it may have.  I glanced up
from my desk and saw it just sitting there investigating what was on the
tray feeder. Kind of "digging" around on it.  (Was it looking for insects?)
Then it flew about 5 meters to a concrete wall adjacent to an area where we
spread bird seed, located at the edge of white oak forest in our "back
yard."  It was not here more than 5-10 minutes.  It did not return to my
knowledge.

The tiny bushtits we have seen here usually arrive in large flocks and
absolutely MOB all our feeders and plants at once.  I love them - they are
so gregarious and cute!  We call them little "billiard balls" for obvious
reasons!  They "shoot" everywhere at once.  I am positive it was not a
bushtit, but it could have been something else.  Let me know if you think of
anything!

Thanks for your help, master birders!

Cynthia Craven
Steven Highland