[birding] House Sparrow trap

Molly Monroe monroemolly at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 3 20:05:49 PST 2008

>Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 10:19:36 -0800
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer at MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject: [obol] House Sparrow News !
To: obol <obol at lists.oregonstate.edu>

Male House Sparrows started territorial behavior in Eugene about January 25.
I'll see what I can do about that.

--
Alan Contreras
EUGENE, OREGON

It's almost that time for us too! I've seen house sparrows checking out our boxes this last week!
For those who are willing and able to trap, we've had great success with this trap that someone from OBOL
turned me onto years ago, thought I'd pass it on again:

www.vanerttraps.com/universal.htm

What I like most about it is that you can use it in different boxes and that it's a live trap triggered by the bird
so if a swallow happens to go in, you can release it quickly (we've never had to do that). We usually put the
trap up after the sparrows have chased the swallows off and start nest building. I make my husband do the dirty
part of the job, the swallows promptly return and try again. We've also added several of the smaller/oblong holed
nest boxes but the sparrows figured out that the female could squeeze in and the male could deliver materials to
her while she was inside. I figured out that the female sparrow had killed one of our incubating swallows and quickly
put up a latter to took care of that one! It is a constant battle with nest boxes around the neighborhood encouraging
sparrows to nest, we've got a large population of sparrows around but put a healthy dent in them every spring!
Looking forward to the swallows returning!
Molly~

 _
( '<
/ ) )
//"   Those who appreciate the power and beauty of nature will find reserves of strength for as long as life lasts- Rachel Carson