[birding] Re: [obol] Corvallis CBC Preliminary Results--missing or sampling error?

Karan & Jim Fairchild alderspr at peak.org
Wed Dec 31 10:16:23 PST 2008

Thanks to Marcia for once again coordinating and compiling the Corvallis CBC, and noting these highlights--particularlly the good weather!

Marcia notes more recent and frequent misses of RUFFED GROUSE, MOUNTAIN QUAIL, and NORTHERN PYGMY OWL.  I would conjecture that this may more likely be due to our (and maybe others) increased inability to access private industrial forestland, as well as public BLM lands that is behind private locked gates, with entry permission for access becoming more and more burdensome and onerous every year.  Along with habitat changes which may be adversely affecting these and other species, more rapid changes in forestland ownership & administrative personnel favor a decline in continuity in sampling sites and thus consistent CBC sampling results over the years.

The CBC area my family has done here for the past 25 or more years includes primarily forestland, including the highest elevation in this CBC, and also Christmas tree and grass seed fields, small farms and rural residences.   Our area has most often been relied on for the above species, plus GRAY JAY, SPOTTED OWL, and WRENTIT (which is now more widespread locally).