[birding] Owls, owls and more owls at Finley

Lisa Millbank lisaaves at peak.org
Sun Dec 28 21:54:42 PST 2008

Thanks Dave,
I didn't know that about Short-eared Owls and harriers roosting together.  I didn't think harriers would get along well with others, but I guess they have an understanding with the owls.
Tonight, the owls appeared to be coming in to the prairie from another location east of the refuge.  The harriers seemed to originate mostly from the middle prairie.  While I'm not sure if they're sharing the same roost at this time, it did look like they had some affinity for one another as the "flocks" joined together.  I've never seen such a gathering, of either species.
I hope someone can stake out the prairie overlook for the Corvallis CBC.  The owls appeared around 4:30pm.
Lisa