[birding] 1st December Oregon odonate record? (OT for birding)

Jamie S. woodpecker97330 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 3 23:46:06 PST 2008

Sorry, this is off-topic for birding lists, but I know there are dragonfly enthusiasts as well on these lists.

While looking for the Palm Warbler in Peoria on Monday, December 1st, I spotted a dragonfly in the Darner family (Aeshnidae).  Rich Hoyer had a glimpse as well before it disappeared.

According to _Dragonflies & Damselflies of the Willamette Valley, Oregon_ by Steve Gordon and Cary Kerst and published in 2005, there are no non-red-colored dragonfly species typically still around after about mid-November.  On page 9, under "When and Where to Look", they wrote "There are no December Oregon adult Odonate records--yet."  There is one now (if there haven't been any previous December records)!

(Some of the Oregon web links in the book are already obsolete or have not been updated in years.  If anyone knows how to contact Steve Gordon and/or Cary Kerst, please pass this email on to them.)

Jamie Simmons
woodpecker97330 at yahoo.com
in balmy Corvallis (for anyone receiving this email who is not in Oregon, it has been a very mild fall so far)