[birding] Adair Wildlife Area Wrentit

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Tue Dec 2 21:06:05 PST 2008

Hi Gail & All,

Yes, that definitely sounds like Wrentits. The sound they make could well
be described as a "soft raspy buzz."

That's the first time I've heard of Wrentits in the Adair Wildlife Area,
but I haven't birded the area much in recent years, and Wrentits seem to
be filling everywhere in the neighborhood.

The wildlife area has some little nice pockets of habitat and has hosted
some interesting birds in past years, including a Swamp Sparrow that Matt
Hunter found one year.

P.S. Greetings everyone, from Sigtuna, Sweden, where on Monday I went for
a 10 km walk around a forest preserve, and only saw a few species of
parids, corvids and kinglets (Regulus regulus). It's the cold, wet, dark
and dreary part of early winter. Most local nesting species are long gone,
and northern species haven't yet come down from Lappland.