[birding] gulls 3

rich armstrong richarmstrong at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 16:45:17 PST 2007

1. since it rained this morning i headed for dump and e e wilson at 130.
2. at 150 there were 119 gulls all resting in the field, and closer to the road. since i saw 0 from hq over the dump my guess is that was 100% of today's gulls. the bad news was that over 1/2 were sleeping as in laying down with heads tucked in. unfortunately there were NO mew gulls and NO slaty-backed candidate. i also could not find a thayers although i thought i had a 1st winter thayers that went to sleep before i could see enough.
    a. there was 1 1st winter WESTERN GULL
    b. at least 3 GLAUCOUS-WINGED (undoubtedly more sleeping)
    c. probably <10 RING-BILLED
    d. most were likely HERRING
    e. i did not id a california, although many of the sleeping could have been.
3. by 205 they were all flying back to the dump - so i was very lucky to have them all in the field.
4. in my 2 1/2 years here the 119 is by far the record for benton county.
Rich Armstrong
541-753-1978