[birding] Coffin Butte gulls today

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Mon Nov 26 11:31:10 PST 2007

Hi folks,

I made a quick zip up to Coffin Butte Landfill just now (11 AM) and
found Rich & Nanette Armstrong there. A bulldozer stirred up a nice
cloud of 40+ gulls which then flew over and settled on the "resting
area" (the incipient remedial wetland restoration on the south of the
dead-end part of Coffin Butte Rd. w. of Hwy 99W). We checked them out
but did not see any dark-mantled gulls among them (good variety of other
kinds though). Also lots of WILSON'S SNIPE out there, always fun to
watch.

Probably a dozen or more gulls were still on the landfill but mostly out
of sight while the bulk of the flock was on the "resting" field. Rich &
Nanette also figured out that if you stand on the concrete porch of the
landfill headquarters you can get a decent scope view of gulls standing
atop part of the landfill.

The site manager was in a meeting so I'll have to follow up with him
later about parking options etc. Rich will probably post more when he
gets home.