[birding] clay-colored sparrow, 16 Nov

Jamie S. woodpecker97330 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 14:37:28 PST 2007

Nice find, Doug!  There was a CCSP at Finley in January 2005; maybe that's the one you mean?  There were no records prior to about 1995 per Hendrik Herlyn.

  Jamie

Douglas Robinson <douglas.robinson at oregonstate.edu> wrote:
  Hi,

Here are better directions to the sparrow:

Go south on 99W to Stow Pit Road. That road is several miles south of where Bruce Road intersects 99W.  Turn east on Stow Pit Road. Follow it to the intersection with Old River Road. From that intersection, continue southeast for 1.0 mile to a telephone pole with bushes and small trees at its base. I placed a piece of red and white striped flagging tape on one of the bushes next to the road.  If you get to the Ingram Island Roads, you have gone too far south.

The sparrow was with a flock of Savannahs and Zonotrichia sparrows. I think this may be only the second Benton County record. One was at Finley in 2003, I think.

Have fun
Doug