[birding] Philomath SP 11-15-07

Paula Vanderheul vanderp at peak.org
Thu Nov 15 16:03:20 PST 2007

Hello Everyone,

I had a chance to visit the Philomath Sewage Pond this afternoon around 3 pm.  The gate was open and I was able to drive in to view the ponds with my scope.  On the first pond I noticed a PACIFIC LOON up close with my binoculars.  With the scope I could see it's winter plumage with light gray crown, neck, white cheek bordered by a darker line at the neck.  I saw one COMMON GOLDENEYE, female, swimming with Lesser Scaup on the first pond. Also, Ring-neck duck, American Wigeon, Lots of N Shoveler, Rudy Duck, Bufflehead, and coots on the north pond. Canada geese flying over, too.  On Plymouth road about 1/2 mile east of Bellfountain a Red-shouldered Hawk was perched on a fence post about 1PM. It was beautiful!

Good Birding
Paula Vanderheul