[birding] 6 White-tailed kites at Lincoln Prairie, Finley NWR

Steve Seibel steves at aeroexperiments.org
Tue Nov 13 22:36:41 PST 2007

Hi all-- this afternoon (Nov. 13) I saw several White-tailed kites
from the Lincoln Prairie overlook at Finley NWR.  Watching for several
hours, I generally had 2 to 4 to view at any given moment.  Then from
3:59 to 4:02 PM I saw 5 flying west to a distant roost site, and then
at 4:06 I saw one more flying west to a distant roost site.  So the
total number of kites present was at least 6.  Sunset was 4:49.  This
pattern of the kites flying together in a group, or nearly so, toward
a distant roost site toward the west at about 45 to 50 minutes before
sunset precisely matches what I observed at the same location back in
2004 in late October and all of November.  Tomorrow I will find out if
they are using the same roost as they were then (in the timbered hills
about 1.5 miles west of the west edge of the refuge.)  For those
curious about the total number of kites present near the Lincoln
Prairie area on any given day, I would suggest making a check at the
time of day described above and watching for the westward flight
toward the roost, as most or all of the kites using the area may well
show themselves at once at this time.  Happy birding!  Steve Seibel
541-990-4633 (Corvallis)