[birding] Tangent Sewage ponds

Cheryl Whelchel dirtgirl16cr125 at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 16:51:42 PST 2007

Checked the ponds late this afternoon.  Tons of Ring-necked ducks.  A scattering each of Buffleheads, Wigeon, mallards, Green-winged Teal, coots.

One duck particularly caught by interest,  I think it may have been an immature female Common Goldeneye.  It had a brown head that had a very peaked crown, that sloped out to the black bill noticeably, a yellow eye, white breast and lower sides-belly?  Tail was raised like a ruddy. It had a white patch to the secondaries. I saw it dive as well.  It was associating with some Buffleheads, I would say it was about a third larger (although I am a poor judge of size).

Any thoughts????

Cheryl Whelchel
Tangent