[birding] Barred owl? Sparred?

Cynthia Craven cynthiacraven at verizon.net
Wed Nov 7 14:10:21 PST 2007

Hi - I am new to the list.  I have lived in Corvallis for a couple years and
like to watch the birds on my back porch up on Witham Hill.  There has been
quite a nice variety here this week including JAYS, SPOTTED TOWHEES,
HUMMINGBIRDS (unknown sp.), BLACK CAPPED CHICKADEES, and ROBINS among
others.  The question I have though - are the BARRED OWLS common in
Corvallis?  I think I saw one in the woods outside my house this morning.
It has been just sitting around in a tree all day.  Not sure if it is a
barred, spotted, or sparred though, as I am not well practiced in
identification.  From the front it looks barred; it has the horizontal chest
markings and vertical markings on the abdomen.  However, I am not really
sure what else I should be looking for -- what does the hybrid look like?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Cynthia