[birding] JITB mallards

Bruce & Katie Dugger tinamou at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 06:56:04 PST 2007

I drive by that JITB on my way to work in the morning and I have noticed
that the mallard population has increased compared to other years.  I
suspect one reason is one of the workers at Jack-in-th-box feeds them.  I
watched her one morning (while I was waiting for my breakfast!).  As urban
mallards and gulls have a similar pallet (if they can swallow it, its
edible), its not hard to see some industrious gull homing in on that savory
dining option.  Incidently, that little rainwater retention pond has hosted
a brood of mallards each of the last 3 years.

Bruce

Message: 3