[birding] Finley owl and Horned Lark

carolyn paynter pandioncp at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 27 17:37:56 PDT 2007

July 27, 2007

Yesterday, July 26, at about 8:00 PM, I saw a Horned Lark foraging in the
gravel road just as it turns west near the prairie overlook. It had the
typical adult plumage, but no visible horns. As I left the refuge, headed
back east towards Hi 99, there was an owl perched on the power lines
parallel to Finely Refuge Road.  It was about 9:15 pm and the bird wanted to
keep a pole-and-half distance between us so my view wasn't a sure thing, but
I think it was a Great Horned Owl.  It didn't show the ghost-white underside
of a Barn Owl.

This is a frustrating time of year at Finely - lots of strange, variable
plumages with the fledlings and molting adults as well as lush foliage.  The
elk do come out in the early evening to take a drink and settle down in the
lush, damp grass, with just their heads showing.

Carolyn Paynter
Corvallis.