[birding] Hesthavn Nature Center birds

Paula Vanderheul vanderp at peak.org
Wed Jul 25 15:05:19 PDT 2007

Hello Everyone,

Today I spent a few hours at the Audubon Nature Center watering plants, weeding reed canary grass, and collecting false brome seed to dispose as waste.  While there, a Cooper's Hawk landed on a branch of the big leaf maple that stands in front of the barn. Before it flew in a douglas' squirrel alerted everyone with its loud call and ran off for cover.  Just before this I was watching a Yellow Warbler working its way around the maple tree.  Lots of young Dark-eyed Junco around feeders, Red-breasted Nuthatch, BC Chickadee, and House Wren.
Today's butterfly is Common Wood-Nymph, which likes grasses that are abundant at the nature center, quite few Western Tiger Swallowtail, too.  There were others that I didn't get to identify.

Good Birding
Paula Vanderheul
vanderp at peak.org