[birding] results of Saturday Field trip for ASC

Paula Vanderheul vanderp at peak.org
Sat Jul 14 13:07:16 PDT 2007

Hello Everyone,

Nine birders met at the Avery Park Rose Garden area to walk Avery Park, Pioneer and Riverfront Park.  Walking along the path that follows the Mary's River were Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow, Black-capped Chickadee, Dark-eyed Junco, Western Wood-Pewee,  Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Green Heron, Bewick's Wren, Common Merganser, Swainson's Thrush, Robin, heard a Belted Kingfisher, and American Goldfinch.  Also at Avery we saw Turkey Vulture flying, Violet-green Swallow, heard Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatch, Rufous Hummingbird flying, and American Crow.  Walking through Pioneer a Brown Creeper appeared near the trail, and one of the ladies remarked that it had been 35 years since she last saw a creeper. At Riverfront Park we watched many Osprey flying and perched.  There were Cedar Waxwings, Vax Swift, VG Swallows all hawking for insects over the Willamette River. A lone Starling was perched on a snag with some House Finch. There were a few Cliff Swallow still hanging around near nest along side the bridge overpass. We watched a Great Blue Heron, and Rock Pigeon near the bridge overpass.  Very pleasant bird walk on a beautiful Summer morning.

Good Birding,

Paula Vanderheul
vanderp at peak.org