[birding] Seal Rock Western Sandpiper flock on Tuesday

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Wed Jul 11 21:20:33 PDT 2007

Hi folks,

Yesterday our family tried to avoid the Willamette Valley heat by
spending the afternoon on the Lincoln Co. Coast at Seal Rock south of
Newport. The parking lot was jam-packed when we got there (people were
parking out on the highway) so we went to the next beach access just
north of Seal Rock.

Along that beach, Wil & Martha and I saw a flock of 25 to 30 WESTERN
SANDPIPERS. They were foraging on algae at a freshwater seep at the base
of a sandstone/mudstone cliff, rather than out on the sandy beach. Three
KILLDEER were using the same seep but not associating with the
sandpipers.

The weather was actually a bit more chilly than we counted on: 59 F in
late afternoon, with wind and fog coming in.

We stopped by Eckman Slough (above Waldport) on the way home but didn't
see any shorebirds there.