[birding] Bald Hill Park on Saturday (not so long)

Joel Geier joel.geier at peak.org
Sun Jul 1 14:59:10 PDT 2007

Hi again all,

On Saturday morning I did my last oak woodland bird survey of the season
at Bald Hill Park on the west side of Corvallis, 5:30 to 9:30 AM. There
were no big surprises in terms of the species present. The main thing
happening was youngsters starting to show up: juvenile SPOTTED TOWHEES
(lots), LESSER GOLDFINCHES, WHITE-BREASTED and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES,
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES, and a roving band of 30 BUSHTITS. A group of
three GREAT HORNED OWLS was raising a big commotion in the woods about
1/4 mile south of the barn; I saw a couple of them flying through the
trees but not good looks, but I suppose that was a family group too.

I forgot to mention, on Crabtree Creek just above Lacomb this morning
(right by the lower gate before you go into Weyerhaueser lands), Martha
and I watched a young AMERICAN DIPPER that was being tended by a single
parent, and trying to forage a bit on its own itself. Not quite as cool
as Mary's experience from Alsea Falls last week, watching the youngsters
fledge from the nest, but pretty fun to watch anyway.