[birding] Fern Ridge WA field trip 10-21-06

Paula Vanderheul vanderp at peak.org
Sat Oct 21 16:39:42 PDT 2006

Hello All,

This morning I led a Corvallis Audubon birding field trip to Fern Ridge Royal Ave. There were seven of us walking out to the end of Royal Ave.  It was 44 degrees to 70 degree with some fog until 10:30 am.  There were plenty of duck hunters around the diked areas, so we stayed away missing most of the ducks for the day. The walk was filled with interesting birds.  Two AMERICAN BITTERN were almost out to the end of the road in a ditch with GREATER YELLOW-LEGS.  Two SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, AND two BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER were along the trail.  WILSON SNIPE were flying, perched along ditches and readily seen through the walk.  We even had a chat with a fellow who was a birder and snipe hunter.  He was snipe hunting today.  One unusual find was a 10 inch healthy live lobster making its way along the mud flats near the end of the trail to the reservoir.  Everyone speculated about how it came to be living and thriving at Fern Ridge.  At the end of the trail was a large flock of LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER, DUNLIN, AND LEAST SANDPIPER.  We could see WESTERN GREBE, AM PELICANS, GREAT EGRET, GBH, MARSH WREN, LINCOLN SPARROW, GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET in the reeds with SAVANNAH SPARROW, SONG AND FOX SPARROW,  AM PIPIT, AM GOLDFINCH, NORTHERN HARRIERS, RAVENS, RED-TAILED HAWK, AND two WHITE-TAILED KITES along the trail. We saw two NORTHERN PINTAIL fly over.

At Kirk Pond the only ducks found were two AMERICAN WIGEON.  One DOUBLE-RESTED CORMORANT, BELTED KINGFISHER, PIED-BILLED GREBE, GREAT EGRET, and one COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.  Gull species at the dam were CALIFORNIA, RINGED-BILL, MEW, AND one HERRING GULL.

On the way home along Territorial Road near the golf course was a kettle of 6 TURKEY VUTURES.

Good Birding fun for us all.

Paula Vanderheul