[birding] Lewis's Woodpecker near Corvallis

rich armstrong richarmstrong at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 11:17:51 PDT 2006

1. i called bob altman yesterday and asked him to call me if the woodpecker was still around. he called me this morning.
2. paula vanderhuel, nanette, and i went out to see the LEWIS' WOODPECKER about 910. in fact bob found a 2nd bird.
3. one appeared to be a full adult. the other had less red on face and not sharp plumage - maybe a molting bird or 1st year bird.
4. we stopped at elliott ponds on way home
    a. 1 WESTERN GREBE (eye completely in black, greenish bill, dark flanks)
    b. 1 female BUFFLEHEAD
    c. 6 SNIPE
    d. 8 female/immature HOODED MERGANSERS
    e. 2 RING-NECKED DUCKS
    f.  about 10 AM WIGEON
    g. 1 PIED-BILLED GREBE
    h. 1 WHITE-THROATED SPARROW
    i. at least 10+ MYRTLE WARBLERS
    j. at least 3 SOOTY FOX SPARROWS
    k. 10+ GOLDEN-CROWNED and 10+ WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS
    l. and the usual suspects
Rich Armstrong
541-753-1978