[birding] Short-notice field trip to Vanderpool Tract and Luckiamute Landing

Joel Geier jgeier at attglobal.net
Sun Oct 1 18:12:59 PDT 2006

Hello All,

This will be publicized in this month's issue of /The Chat/ newsletter
for Audubon Society of Corvallis, but since the date of the field trip
is going to be very close to the day the newsletter commes out, I wanted
to get the word out here. I would appreciate it if you could forward
this to others who might be interested.

FIELD TRIP TO PROPOSED NEW _LUCKIAMUTE_STATE_NATURAL_AREA_

Tuesday, October 3 (9:00 AM to 1:00 PM). We'll meet at the anglers'
parking area for E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area (1/2 mile west of Hwy 99W on
Camp Adair Rd.), and carpool from there to the greenway sites
(Vanderpool Tract, Luckiamute Landing, Willamette Botanicals site, and
Baker Tract).

The aim of this field trip will be mainly to provide an orientation to
the 1000+ acres of recently acquired public lands that have been
proposed to constitute a new State Natural Area along the Willamette
River near the Luckiamute River confluence.

Plans for this natural area (which includes important breeding habitat
for threatened WESTERN POND TURTLES and RED-LEGGED FROGS as well as
VESPER SPARROWS) are still controversial, and public meetings are
scheduled in Monmouth on the evening of 4 Oct and in Salem 5 Oct, to be
followed by a 30-day period for written comments to Oregon Parks &
Recreation Department (OPRD).

More information on the plannig process and meeting locations can be
found at:

http://egov.oregon.gov/OPRD/PLANS/planning_luckiamute.shtml

Looking for birds will be a secondary emphasis of this field trip.
However, if we relocate the recently discovered TENNESSEE WARBLER at
Vanderpool Tract, we won't complain.

For those who can't join this trip, another (weekend) trip will be held
on October 14 in conjunction with the regular ASC field "Saturday local
birding" field trip.

(541) 745-5821 or 745-5020
jgeier at attglobal.net