[birding] Fern Ridge Fischer Butte 5-20-06

Paula Vanderheul vanderp at peak.org
Sun May 21 16:18:21 PDT 2006

    Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I led the Corvallis Audubon field trip to Fern Ridge.  We birded the Fischer Butte Unit, then Perkins Peninsula, and after lunch the Royal Ave section out to the observation tower.

Along the Fischer Butte dike looking south across the dead stubs of last years corn field were great views of Wilson's Phalarope, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Greater Yellowleg, killdeer, Blue-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, N Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Wood Duck, Am Wigeon, Gadwall, Mallard, Pied-bill Grebe, and Redhead.  Having the south corn field in water this year really boost the activity and pleasure of watching.  We heard many Sora, and Virginia Rail along the way.  We walked all the way around the diked pond to the north and back by the barn to the parking lot trail.  While out at the north end, we checked on the large pond just west of us where we found a pair of Western Kingbirds, Am Pelican, Egret, Osprey, Black-necked Stilt, and GBH.

Perkins Peninsula was quiet with a few Western Grebe, Tree Swallow, Western Wood-Pewee, adult Bald Eagles, and Black-headed Grosbeak.

Along the trail from Royal Ave we heard many Sora, V. Rail and one booming Am Bittern.  We had one Sora fly out of the grass for a quick view.  This area was busy with Marsh Wren singing and posing up close, Purple Martin flying overhead, and perched on their nest boxes.  We watched the Black Tern, and Caspian Tern fly over the pond west of the tower.  We did see many GBH, the one male Bufflehead, and a Sharp-shinned Hawk at the same pond.

It was a beautiful day to enjoy the birds at Fern Ridge Wildlife Area.

Good Birding
Paula Vanderheul
vanderp at peak.org