[birding] Benton County Herbert Open Space

Donald A Boucher bouchdon at juno.com
Sun May 21 16:09:22 PDT 2006

5/21/06 Herbert Open Space.
Band-tailed Pigeon (more than a dozen), Northern Harrier, Western
Wood-Pewee, Cedar Waxwings, Steller's Jay, Swainson's Thrush, B-h
Grosbeak, W. Tanager

WILDFLOWERS: Peacock Larkspur, Bare-Stem Lomatium, Fork-tooth Ookow,
Kincaid's Lupine, Mule's Ears (Wyethia), Oregon Geranium, Red Columbine,
Cat's Ears, Wild Strawberries (tasty!), Sidalcea sp.

We met there with the local tracking group. Tracking was best along the
dirt road where we found mostly bird tracks of Killdeer and song birds.
There were also some raccoon tracks. This is a reliable Band-tailed
Pigeon

HOW TO GET THERE
~2.5 miles from Downtown Corvallis on HWY 99W, ~1 mile north of Airport
Road. Turn right onto Herbert Ave and go to the end of the gravel road.
There's and obvious parking area next to a fence. There is a private lot
to the north with a small barn and a field planted with small trees. Walk
on the dirt road until you approach a small waterway that is partially
paved. Proceed carefully as you might spot basking Western Pond Turtles
before they are startled into plunging into the water.

Don Boucher
Corvallis, OR