[birding] Benton Co. NAMC Summary

MARCIA CUTLER marciafcutler at comcast.net
Mon May 15 14:10:51 PDT 2006

Here are the highlights from the Benton Co. NAMC on May 13, 2006.  With most of the reports in, a total of 116 species were seen by 7 parties and 3 feeder watchers.  I've listed species that have been seen fifty percent or less of the time during Spring Counts.  Also listed with numbers are species that set new high counts for the period that I've been a Compiler (starting in 1995).  A "T" after the number means that it tied the high count.

Note: I've added some information on locations that wasn't included in previous postings.

Double-crested Cormorant

American Bittern - 3 (McFadden Marsh)

Great Egret

American Wigeon (Monroe SP)

Ruddy Duck

Osprey - 16

Bald Eagle - 4T

Cooper's Hawk

Peregrine Falcon [1, first Spring record, 2d record overall]

Mountain Quail

Sora - 5

Anna's Hummingbird - 9

Red-breasted Sapsucker - 7

Olive-sided Flycatcher - 8

Western Wood-Pewee - 12

Willow Flycatcher [1, first Spring record, 2d record overall] (Finley NWR)

Hammond's Flycatcher (feeder counter west of Philomath)

Western Kingbird - 6

Northern Rough-winged Swallow

Hutton's Vireo - 17

Warbling Vireo - 30

Nashville Warbler  [2d record] Lincoln Prairie Overlook, Finley

Yellow Warbler - 34

Vesper Sparrow

Yellow-headed Blackbird - 3T

Misses include: Hooded Merganser, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Greater Yellowlegs, owls, Belted Kingfisher and Hairy Woodpecker

Marcia F. Cutler