[birding] Some Benton Co. NAMC hilites

MARCIA CUTLER marciafcutler at comcast.net
Sat May 13 22:22:28 PDT 2006

Just a few quick highlights from my day around Benton Co. for the Migratory Bird Count:

Yellow-headed Blackbirds - 3 at the Mitigation Wetlands on Bruce Rd. 2 males and 1 female

Long-billed Dowitchers - 2 at McFadden Marsh were the only shorebirds I saw there.

Blue Grouse - 2 heard, one on the part of Bruce Rd. west of Finley where it goes through forest habitat and one at Fitton Green

Mountain Quail - 1 in the middle of the road to Fitton Green (Panorama)

Vesper Sparrow - 2, one in christmas tree farm on Bruce Rd. the other at Fitton Green

Philomath Sewage Ponds had some waterfowl in the first pond, but absolutely none in the second pond.  Seen were:

Mallards - 13
Northern Shovelers - 12
Wood Ducks - 6
Cinnamon Teal - 1male