[birding] More misc. yard birds

mcmillerz at comcast.net mcmillerz at comcast.net
Mon May 1 17:40:00 PDT 2006

Hi all,

The Band-Tailed Pigeons have brought lots more friends to my feeders. Up to about two dozen of them now! Had to get more cracked-corn!

Finally got a glimpse of the pair (I assume) of Pileated Woodpeckers that have been knocking and squawking in the forest behind me.

Had about a dozen Golden-Crowned Sparrows in the brush and on the ground below one of my feeders today. I noticed Jim posted a lovely picture of one on the website - not mine, but great pic'.

The resident Towhees seemed annoyed by the presence of the GC Sparrows!

Had a group of Warblers pass over high overhead today - ID was impossible -
recognized the sound.

Black-Capped Chickadees seem to out number the CB Chicadees this year, they are constant visitors.

Mike and I have been noticing some bare patches fairly high on the fir trees at the edge of our yard and forest - bark removed in small rectangles - very precisely eaten or drilled, on healthy, mostly large firs. . . . any ideas?

Chris Miller

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul.