[birding] Summer Tanager report of non-success

Joel Geier jgeier at attglobal.net
Thu Jul 27 16:31:49 PDT 2006

Hello again,

Not sure if anyone else who looked has posted (I should probably switch
from digest mode to continuous to find out what else has been posted),
but anyway ...

Daughter Martha (age 7) & I spent some time walking around the east of
country club neighborhood yesterday morning. On one of the side streets,
Rich Hoyer found us, so we proceeded as a significantly augmented
birding team. For those of you who might not know Rich, he's a Corvallis
native and top-notch professional birding guide, now based in Arizona
but apparently he was back here prior to leading his annual Oregon tour.

We did not turn up the Summer Tanager though we did semi-accidentally
run across half of the couple who had reported the bird, and she invited
us to try birding her backyard. Rich spun off an impressive repertoire
of southwestern owl calls, which you'd think might register with a bird
from those parts. We saw a nice variety of birds including Western
Tanager and Black-headed Grosbeak (Rich noted they must migrate through
areas where they would encounter those owls), but the red bird did not
reappear.

Prior to meeting Rich, Martha and I walked the paths at Oak Lawn
Cemetery which was very birdy, particularly in the lower stretches.
Twice we met a flock of about fifteen Bushtits that were bravely making
their way from tree to isolated tree, across the vast (from a Bushtit
point of view) open areas of the cemetery. Martha also got a close-up
view of a Brown Creeper on the trunk of a nice big Doug-fir, just inside
the fence at the golf course.

jgeier at attglobal.net