[birding] In spite of the heat

mcmillerz at comcast.net mcmillerz at comcast.net
Sun Jul 23 11:25:18 PDT 2006

Hi all,

In spite of laying low to avoid the heat, I did see a few interesting birds this weekend.
Saw a female Hairy Woodpecker working a fir tree just outside my property.
Spotted a Brown Creeper twice, making it's zig-zag way up a fir.

I also saw a Black-headed Grosbeak at the feeder several times - a very pale bird, so I think it's the same bird each time.

The usual Nuthatches, Towhees, Juncos, BC Chickadees, Stellar Jays, Crows, Song Sparrows, and a few Wild Turkeys with adolescent young.

Not surprisingly, they all seemed more interested in the water and birdbaths than the misc. seed!

Bring on the  cool breezes!
Chris Miller

PS.

If you like nature movies, there's an interesting one out ( at Blockbuster) called The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill - worth seeing.